176 Strawberry Hill Ave.
Norwalk, CT 06851
Project Architect: Fuss & O'Neill, 56 Quarry Road, Trumbull, CT 06611
Project Scope: The Nathan Hale Middle School athletic fields project addressed several key needs for the City of Norwalk, Connecticut. New sports fields were needed to meet an increasing demand for use of the city's existing fields and resources by both the public and the nearby Norwalk High School. The upgrades to the athletic complex at Nathan Hale Middle School sought to expand capacity, while also addressing several important issues, including improvement of the efficiency and maintenance operations of the sports facilities. Turco Golf enhanced the facility's field drainage capabilities, enabling more play and less cancellations for ball games and events. Additionally, maintenance expenses, like field grooming or water removal, were reduced by enabling the city to complete the routine maintenance of the fields without the need for an independent contractor. Another important issue for the city was parking for the facility. The project included the construction of a new parking lot to alleviate congestion on nearby city streets.
As the project's general contractor, Turco Golf was responsible for management of the following:
- Renovation of existing natural grass soccer and baseball fields
- Construction of a new synthetic turf baseball field
- Construction of a new synthetic turf multi-use football field
- Installation of bleachers, dug outs and concrete stairways
- Installation of new electronic scoreboards and sports field lighting
- Installation of all sports field equipment (i.e. goal posts, batting cages)
- Connection of water service and utilities
- Construction and paving of parking lot with walkways
- Landscaping of common areas